Tachikawa Straight Pen
Tachikawa T-40 Pen Holder
Straight Pen with Lid
Made in Japan
A versatile tool for both sketching and calligraphy. I like to use mine to create beautiful illustrated postcards!
A straight pen is a dip pen for use with metal nibs, meant to be dipped into ink. However, watercolor paint can be used instead of ink! Simply use a brush to stir enough water into the surface of your chosen watercolor until you reach a creamy consistency, then use the brush to load it onto the underside of the metal nib, from tip to middle hole.
I specifically use the Tachikawa straight pen for a number of reasons:
- It has a cap! It allows you the convenience of keeping a nip loaded in the pen while preventing it from both getting damaged or damaging the carrying case with its pointy end.
- The cap has a handy little tab to prevent your pen from rolling off the table.
- The cap is designed to stay on the end of your pen, just like any other cap.
- This pen is compatible with a full range of nib sizes, including crow quills!
- The grip is comfortable and prevents the pen from slipping while you hold it.
Using either watercolor or ink, you can use this pen for:
- line sketching
- adding fine line work to a pencil sketch or painting
For tips on calligraphy, I recommend looking here!
Pen comes loaded with 1 Tachikawa G Nib.
© Greenleaf & Blueberry 2020